MAY 2017: Regional and country level seed and agriculture industry news from around the Asia and Pacific region, including updates from China, India, Japan, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar, South Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
- Asia & Pacific: Vietnamese basil seeds recalled in the US after detection of Salmonella; Nigerian-Thai trade of various agriculture commodities suffers from restrictions; Strict Australian phytosanitary measures see ancient seeds destroyed; Chinese-Vietnamese joint venture for crop seeds; Chicken, beef and biotechnology underlined in historic US and China trade agreement; Dandelion seeds assist Chinese and American scientists in precise lab-work; Cashew demand and prices surge; Cyclone Donna threatens Vanuatu root crops; Australian designed ‘Seed Destructor’ lives up to name in Canada trials; Paddy prices rise as private traders scramble to fill orders; Growing ammonia pollution in China & India linked to agriculture waste; Study: morning glory seeds can survive extreme radiation.
- India & South Asia: Boosting ethanol production from sweet sorghum hybrids; Food production up despite climate change, environmental degradation says minister; Incubation investment to boost potato seed production; Taiwanese hybrid melon seeds in demand in India; Delhi schools to set up seed banks; drought-tolerant ‘super’ grain suitable substitute for rice and wheat; ‘normal monsoon’ forecast by the Indian Meteorological Dept; Food security in question if Bangladesh moves forward with bio fuel plans. Flash floods wipe out 700,000 tonnes of Bangladeshi rice harvest; China-Pakistan Economic Corridor to bolster seeds, agriculture;
- ASEAN: Brunei paddy officials, farmers embark on three-month hybrid rice technology course in China; Myanmar paddy farmers get Japanese paddy training assistance; Ancient sooth tradition predicts bountiful harvests this year in Thailand; Improving subsistence rate of Sabah rice; Myanmar government to bolster crop seed production; Singaporean-Myanmar venture opens rice mill; Contract farming to help Myanmar reach export targets; Infrastructure and microfinance to help 15,000 smallholder Khmer farmers; Climate Smart Agriculture package for Cambodia; Typhoon-affected Filipino rice farmers’ great expectations for Chinese hybrid rice seed as DA mulls seed procurement reform; FAO lauds climate-smart agriculture; Mekong Delta farmers in Vietnam finding security from organic rice; IFC announces $10 million stake in Vietnamese seed and agribusiness expansion
- Australia & New Zealand: Agriculture impacted by climate change but farmers adapting; Pulse numbers up; Mice outbreaks threaten crop seeding in South Australia, Victoria; Crop planting unsure as the weather; Hemp seed given official green light for food market; Govt approved growing permit sees medical cannabis firm stocks surge; exporters moving lentils in bulk; New Zealand pension fund looks to expand offshore agriculture investments; Margot Forde Germplasm Centre delivers second batch of seeds to ‘doomsday vault’; ‘Extremely wet weather’ in May pose problems to vegetable growers.
- China: Food & Drug authority gives green light to GMO blood protein rice clinical trials; Quarantine officials intercept undocumented radish seeds from Korea; Thousand year old lotus seeds germinated; Increasing crop yields in Kazakhstan backed by Chinese expertise; Demand for, production of high-quality paddy on the up; Stakeholders approve ChemChina takeover of Sygenta; Consumers increasingly wary of GMO soy oil;
- Japan Trading house to boost ‘super onion’ production at Japanese, Australian and New Zealand farms; Box poisons employee with toxic flower seeds as punishment. Public and private sector to partner in development of unmanned mowing robots.
- Korean Peninsula Detection of GMO flowers prompts confiscation, cancellation of popular rapeseed festival; Optimism underlined for Korean seed growth; North Korea reportedly betting on hemp as an alternative to soybean for cooking oil, animal feed and biofuel